From boot camp on, military members are bred for physical success. This means exercising every day, eating a balanced diet, and getting enough rest to pound out that 12-mile ruck (you know — the one you really don’t want to do).
Besides the basics of exercise, food, and sleep, you can improve your physical fitness with the right supplements. They’re especially useful for a veteran who’s fallen out shape, or someone looking to take their gains to the next level.
However, some supplements do more harm than good; in the competitive fitness/health industry, brands will do anything to make their product sell. Flashy promos featuring a guy who got “eight-pack abs in eight weeks” probably aren’t being honest. And they’re definitely not worth your money.
When you’re looking to try a new supplement, you need to find some trustworthy reviews on how it’s going to help you reach your fitness goals. For your convenience, we’ve done that research for you!
Here are seven highly-rated, reasonably-priced supplements that you can add to your shopping list.
1. Unfair Advantage by Bulletproof
First: All OurMilitary.com users receive a 10% discount on Bulletproof products by entering the code “MILITARY10” at checkout.
Bulletproof is a nutrition and wellness brand that takes a science-based approach to their products. All their stuff is simple, explained well, and geared toward helping your body perform at the highest level. “Unfair Advantage” is a daily supplement with three main benefits:
- It gives you a clean boost of energy (no caffeine jitters)
- Helps your cells repair faster
- Absorbs quicker than the average supplement
Marketed at $59.95, one box of Unfair Advantage contains 30 ampules, which can last you around a month. Out of almost 700 reviews, it boasts a solid 4-star rating, with an overwhelming amount of 5-star reviews. Reviewers especially loved the boost in energy, productiveness, and cognitive function every day. Some said it helped sustain energy in old age, and even helped with their loved one’s dementia.
You can check out other Bulletproof products on their website here, including coffee, food, MCT oils, and more.
A lesser-known supplement, but still popular with real fitness enthusiasts, beta-alanine can be bought in most vitamin/supplement stores. Here’s a listing for $20.
The biggest advantage to BA is that it reduces muscle fatigue. It actively boosts your carnosine levels, which then prevent acid build-up in your muscles after a workout. This also works against muscle corrosion, which means you’ll do less damage to your muscles if you overwork them.
This research from Texas A&M goes over how much BA you should be taking to see the most benefits. Generally, it’s a lot. But if you’re looking to hit the gym consistently and bounce back quick every time, it may be the right investment.
If you’ve been working out for awhile, you’ve likely tried creatine. Like beta-alanine, you can find it in pretty much any supplement store. Here’s a listing for $11.49 on bodybuilding.com.
Creatine is a great overall muscle-builder that simply makes you see gains faster. The product linked above has a 9.5/10 rating. Here’s one consumer’s review:
“Honestly, I hadn’t given supplements a fair shot until a few months ago. Since using MuscleTech Platinum Creatine, I feel like I’m getting faster muscle growth and better overall workout intensity. I used a buy one, get one at 50%, and just restocked at an even better deal adding another 10% discount. I’m a believer!”
4. Branched Chain Amino Acids
The name is a mouthful, which is why you may know this supplement better as BCAAs. It reduces muscle fatigue by promoting protein synthesis, and preventing against protein degradation.
Beyond simple muscle recovery, BCAAs are a stimulant and will give you energy throughout your day. The energy and protein it provides your muscles helps with tissue development in shorter amount of time. This review sums it up pretty well:
“Great focus. Great flavor. Pumping out serious workouts.”
Check out this listing on bodybuilding.com for just $20, with a 9.4/10 rating.
5. The Build Muscle Stack by Legion
This supplement bundle is a bit pricey at $140. But before you let that deter you, know that it includes four separate supplements for pre- and post-workout, as well as everyday performance-enhancers. Here’s what they do:
- Whey Protein Powder: Legion’s whey protein is 100% authentic whey protein. No chemical bullsh*t. It’s an easy way to load up on protein, and it actually tastes good. The amino acids in the powder work to give you that lean muscle definition you’re looking for.
- Recharge Post-Workout: As the name says, this supplement works to get you back in the gym faster. It contains three key molecules: creatine monohydrate, L-carnitine L-tartrate, and corosolic acid. They help you build muscle faster and reduce muscle soreness at the same time.
- Pulse Pre-Workout: Pulse is a clean energy-booster. You want to go into a workout ready to hit the weights hard; it cuts down on your warm-up time, and you’ll have a better workout from the get-go.
- Triumph Multivitamin: A general health booster, Triumph improves your focus and mental endurance as well as your physical profile. It contains key nutrients that your body needs to function properly, and that you may not be getting in your diet; this also helps you fight illness before it ever happens.
Tip: Enter your email address for an automatic 10% off.
Taking a daily supplement may be just what you need to reach the next level of fitness. Let us know what supplements you already take, and if you’ll be trying out any of these!
If you’re a veteran, check out these seven simple habits to stay healthy after service.