The Fourth of July, otherwise known as Independence Day, has officially been a federal holiday since 1941 but dates back to the 18th century.
On this day, 242 years ago, the thirteen colonies claimed their independence from England. This historic moment in history has continued to be celebrated with the same enthusiasm now as it was back then.
When first observed, Independence Day was celebrated with the firing of cannons and eating turtle soup, the celebratory meal at the time. Today, Americans celebrate the day with red, white, and blue themed parties, barbecues, hot dogs, and fireworks. Every year, big cities around the U.S. put on their own fireworks celebration for July 4th. According to USA Today, Philadelphia, New York, Boston, and Washington D.C. are home to some of the largest and best fireworks in the nation.
The July 4th holiday celebrates a moment in history that has impacted and shaped our country even to this day. It stands as an opportunity for Americans to express their patriotism and love of country, and to honor those who took the step to form the United States of America. So regardless your political opinions, the Fourth of July represents the American people and all the freedoms we have as Americans.
As a tribute to those who sacrifice their lives to continuously protect our country and our freedom, companies all over the nation are providing military discounts. Check out the list below!
Have a great Independence Day!
4th of July Military Discounts:
- A.C. Moore: 15% off total regular and sale price purchase with valid ID every day.
- Advance Auto Parts: 10% off regularly priced items for in-store purchases for active duty, reserve, and retired status members, all veterans receiving VA benefits, spouses and dependent children up to age 18.
- AT&T: 15% off monthly service charges on eligible plans for qualified active-duty, reserve, National Guard, veterans, and spouses of active duty and deceased service personnel.
- Bass Pro Shops: 5% everyday military discount
- Blue Star Museums: Through Labor Day, active duty and their families get free admission to more than 2,000 museums.
- Busch Gardens: Through July 4th, Busch Gardens parks, including SeaWorld parks, are offering free admission for active duty and veterans and three free guest tickets. Sign up online at www.wavesofhonor.com as these offers are not available at parks.
- Foot Locker: 20% off on most online purchases after verifying military service on www.footlocker.com
- Ford: Now through July 9th, active duty and veterans get a bonus cash discount up to $1,000 on eligible cars, which is a special event from the general Ford Military Appreciation program. Learn more and sign up for verification at www.fordsalutesthosewhoserve.com.
- Lowe’s: 10% off everyday for active duty and veterans
- General Motors: Learn more about the GM Military Discount program at www.gmmilitarydiscount.com.
- Home Depot: All military veterans get a 10 percent discount on July 4 and there’s also a year-round 10 percent discount for active duty personnel, reservists, retired or disabled veterans and immediate dependents. Valid military required.
- Jo-Ann Fabrics: 10 percent discount for military service members and their families year round.
- Kings Island: Free Admission for active or retired military. Up to six family members are eligible to receive discounted tickets.
- Michaels: 15% discount for military families every day
- Nike: Active, veteran, retired and reservists, spouses and dependents of active personnel get a 10 percent military discount at Nike.com and Nike, Converse and Hurley stores. To get the discount online, verification of eligibility is required and a military ID is required to get in-store savings.
- Old Time Pottery: 10% military discount every day to active, retired military and their families.
- O’Reilly Auto Parts: 10% in-store discount off retail price for most items for active duty, reserve members, retired service members and veterans with valid ID. Immediate family members of active duty or veterans are eligible for discount if they have a government issued dependent ID card.
- Outback Steakhouse: Through July 4th, active military, veterans, police officers and firefighters with valid state or federal identification get 20% off. There’s also a 10% everyday Heroes Discount for servicemen and women, police officers and firefighters.
- Pep Boys: 10% discounts every day for active and retired military
- Rack Room Shoes: 10% military discount on July 4th and every Tuesday throughout the year
- Sherwin Williams: 15% year-round military discount for active military, veterans, reservists and spouses
- T-Mobile: 50% off family lines for all military and veterans.
- Verizon: $15 off select plans or 15% on other eligible plans.
- Walgreens: Free store loyalty card with military ID. Active duty, veterans, and their families receive 20% off regular price item on July 4th.
Tyko, Kelly. “Active Military and Veterans Can Save With Independence Day Discounts.” TC Palm. 28 June, 2018.