OurMilitary.com, a Valor Worldwide company, was founded to help active service members, veterans, and their families have access to current information and resources. We work each day to provide our visitors with valuable resources to assist military communities.
To help further support our military and their families, we have created a $1,000 annual scholarship for one undergraduate student that is either an active service member or veteran, a military spouse, or the child of an active service member or veteran.
- All applicants must be enrolled, or due to be enrolled, as a full-time student at an accredited US college or university for the semester that they are applying to receive the scholarship.
- Applicants are required to have a 2.7 or better GPA
- Applicants are not required to have a specific major.
- Domestic, international, and undocumented students may apply.
- Students attending online universities are welcome to apply.
- Be an active service member or veteran, spouse of an active service member or veteran, or child of an active service member or veteran
Required Application Details
- Please write a 500-1,000-word essay answering the following question:
- How has your affiliation with the military community impacted your education and/or learning?
- Please submit proof of enrollment or an acceptance letter in an accredited learning institution. We will accept a recent transcript, acceptance letter, or tuition bill. Please note: if you are in the process of applying for colleges and universities, please indicate your current school and submit a document with the schools you have currently applied to. If you are selected for the scholarship, we will ask you to provide proof of enrollment for your college or university at that time.
- Please submit The OurMilitary.com Annual Veteran Recognition Scholarship form below.
How to Apply
Please complete the form with the following information to apply: The OurMilitary.com Annual Veteran Recognition Scholarship
- Full Name
- Email Address
- College or University Name
- College or University Mailing Address
- Proof of Enrollment – Transcripts, tuition receipt, or acceptance letter will be accepted. Please submit as .jpeg, .pdf, or .doc
- An essay answering the above questions. Please submit as .pdf or .doc
- Verify that you are an active service member or veteran, spouse of an active service member or veteran, or child of an active service member or veteran
- Confirmation and acceptance of terms and conditions
All applications must be submitted by May 15, 2019.
A winner will be selected and notified via email by May 30, 2019.
We are proud to announce that we have an esteemed panel of judges that will be reviewing the top finalist entries and deciding on the winner of our first-ever OurMilitary.com scholarship recipient. They are:
Doug Baldwin Jr.
Doug Baldwin Jr. graduated from Stanford University with a degree in Science, Technology and Society before signing with the Seattle Seahawks as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He became a Super Bowl Champion in 2013 and is also a 2-time Pro Bowler.
In 2017, Baldwin helped establish and currently serves as a board member for the Players Coalition — an NFL player led organization advocating for criminal justice and education reform. In 2018, Baldwin was named a finalist for the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian award.
Nate Boyer is a former United States Army Green Beret and American football long snapper. After serving six years and multiple tours for the Army in both Iraq and Afghanistan, Boyer played football at the University of Texas. He received several prestigious awards during his college career including the National Football Foundation’s coveted Legacy Award, Big 12 Sportsperson of the Year, ESPN College Football Awards Disney Spirit award for most inspirational figure, and the first-ever recipient of the Armed Forces Merit Award presented by the Football Writers Association of America. In 2015, he was signed by the Seattle Seahawks.
More recently, Boyer has been involved in multiple charitable causes including co-founding Merging Vets & Players (MVP), and Waterboys, which helps provide clean well water to East African communities. Boyer also works in the film industry, with a special emphasis on telling the stories of veterans. He appeared this season on the NBC hit show “This is Us”.
A former member of the United States Air Force, Anna Collins is currently president and COO of Bulletproof, where she is responsible for the strategy, operations and omni-channel growth of the company.
Collins’ previous positions include serving as worldwide general manager of Amazon Prime membership, heading up the global search advertising business for Microsoft, and leading the internet channel strategy and acquisition culminating in the launch of CVS.com. She holds an AB in Economics and an MBA from Harvard University.
Additional Scholarship Details
- The winning candidate will be selected by a panel of judges from OurMilitary.com.
- The scholarship is available on a yearly basis and is non-renewable.
- Questions about The OurMilitary.com Annual Veteran Recognition Scholarship can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The scholarship funds provided by OurMilitary.com will be sent via check to the college or university. Funds are to be applied to qualified college expenses (including tuition, fees, books, and on-campus room and board) for the current academic year.
By submitting an application, we are granted permission to send applicants
information regarding their application only, via their submitted email address.
No applicants will be contacted regarding anything other than their application.
The winner will be asked if they will grant OurMilitary.com permission to post their name, school, photo (if submitted), and their essay on www.OurMilitary.com or in other marketing communications relating to the scholarship program.
We will remove any information pertaining to applicants at their request.
All information (proof of enrollment, essays, and email) relating to applicants is destroyed as soon as a winner is announced.
Terms & Conditions
All submitted photos and essays must be original work of the applicant. Only one submission may be entered per student, per year. Duplicate entries will be disqualified. All scholarships are non-renewable. By submitting an application to The OurMilitary.com Annual Veteran Recognition Scholarship, you certify that all the information you have provided is original, accurate, and complete.
- Use their name, photo, essay response, and award amount, if any, in announcements or articles (i.e. social media, newsletter, etc) issued by OurMilitary.com.
- Post the applicant’s name, college or university, and the essay on the OurMilitary.com website.
- Email information to the applicant regarding their application.
- Winners will be notified via email, and announced publicly, as well as on OurMilitary.com’s social media pages.
The Federal Student Aid site has important information that may help you on your scholarship journey.
If you are unsure if your school is accredited, you can use the US Department of Education’s search tool to see if your school features on their list.
How to detect scams